If your EMS provider is certified 9001:2008, they should be taking the next step to 2015 certification, as it can be done without a huge strain on staff and resources (keeping your manufacturing relationship on track). If your EMS provider is starting on this process, you have the confidence that they are committed to maintaining a customer-focused business relationship and are committed to keeping strong standards in place to support it. We’ve created this guide to help you understand key revisions involved, so you can understand the process as well as the benefits involved.
STARTING THE MOVE TO ISO 9001:2015
Once your EMS provider has the 9001:2015 standard “in hand,” the leadership team can begin the process of understanding and preparing for the transition. Although one may feel anxious about any revision to international standards, the amendments equate to improvements in quality for you and your customers. You will find that the switch to a process-approach with increased leadership involvement (and accountability) are the most obvious differences, along with a new emphasis on risk management and improved communication. Understand that this process doesn’t happen overnight, and ISO has granted a three-year transition period beginning September 2015. This allows EMS providers until September 2018 to complete their upgrade and certification.
STEPS TO ISO 9001:2015
Some of the steps here involve a new FOCUS, while others are simply standard practices.
- Learning about ISO 9001:2015. Your EMS provider will likely have a team of managers pouring over the latest certification documents, to prepare themselves for the work ahead. The new 2015 version involves some additions and subtractions, including
- 7 principles vs. 8 in the 2008 version
- 10 clauses vs. 8 in the 2008 version
- 6 mandatory documents (which were previously mandatory procedures)
- 26 mandatory records, no change from the 2008 version
- Removal of the management representative, with a change to leadership involvement)
- Removal of a quality manual, but addition of a “context” of the organization
ISO 9001:2015 Bottom Line = Better Communication, Better Performance, and Better Compliance
You may have a successful working relationship with your EMS provider; if that is the case, then ISO 9001:2015 will only build upon your previous success. If you are looking for an EMS provider who is certified and committed to building partnerships which provide outstanding quality and customer satisfaction, look to SMC. We are already near the end of the upgrade process, and ready to assist you with your EMS and Systems Integration needs, meeting the latest standards.